Friday, December 16, 2011

mary tyler dragon tattoo


It's tricky to say why I haven't been able to write anything lately. Mainly it's laziness...there have been many, many minutes of watching the Mary Tyler Moore show on my ipad instead of updating this thing. Sidenote: MTM's hair gets so bad in season six. 1975, feathered, no cute false eyelashes, nude lipstick, and she moves out of the coveted, cathedral ceiling studio apartment into a horrible, horrible high rise. Rhoda left in season four....abruptly. Then, of course, I started watching Rhoda, the spin-off. She lives in a coveted, low ceiling, but bright Manhattan apartment with sweet 1970's oil paintings covering the walls. Double sidenote: I can't quite pull off the Rhoda head scarf without looking like a cancer patient. And I try...over and over again.

There was also the half-reading of the dragon tattoo girl series. The first book was read aloud with Dave this summer when we were in California. Sidenote: try reading this book aloud...ahem, Swedish street names...Dave made me say things again and again just to laugh at me. I had just read East of Eden and needed something a little lighter. Little did I know that dragon tattoo was so pissed and raped. Not light reading....and everyone is called the same name and everyone drinks tons of coffee and everyone eats open-faced sandwiches and everyone is so earnest and seductive. The second book was annoying, but I still had to read the third one, which started at the same time as getting back to New York, jury duty for two weeks, two special ed classes per week and the start of school, which, of course, means lots of things.

I am not a good reader during the school year. I read the weekend nytimes, I read articles online, I read my lesson plan crap, I read fb status updates, but I can't seem to get sucked into a book. So I read that damn book for, like, three months. Everytime I picked it up, I thought, god. This stupid book - what is happening? Who is this guy again? What happened before? Oh yeah, that's a good cop. Wait...no that's a bad cop, spy...Sapo spy. Wait...what? So during a particularly nocturnal moment, I finally finished the third book. WHERE IS HER SISTER!?

So, I guess the point is that I have loads of free time on my hands, but most of it is at midnight, reading books I don't really like or watching ancient tv shows under the covers while Dave is snoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment